Wednesday 20 August 2014

Shhhhhhhh the little FOX is sleeping!

If anyone of you are fans of G.D.A.C. you'll know that I'm a little in love with FOXES - but lets face it, who isn't?? I've made this Foxy Paper Bag Skirt, an Outfoxed Peplum, not one but two foxed up Pretty Skirts - I've even gone as far as creating a special foxy birthday gift (with the help of fellow crafters). So you can imagine my excitement when I saw that Cass Can Sew was looking for testers for her "Quiet Fox" applique design.




With clear instructions from Cass to "have fun" with the design, I put my thinking cap on a to decide exactly what to applique it on! I chose to make the Fresh Patterns All Seasons Dress from a mid-blue chambray and retro it up a little contrasting collar, lining and of course "Quiet Fox" applique from one of my fav Michael Miller prints.




Firstly, I chose to enlarge the template to 115%, traced it on to some heat and bond, ironed it onto my fabric and then onto my dress. To keep with the retro feel, I chose to use my machine to top stitch the design - so the edges will fluff a little in the wash to create texture and character. I then back-stitched its sleepy eyes by hand.

CONFESSION TIME: I've NEVER appliqued by hand. (GASP!!!) but I found this handy Embroidery Basics video on YouTube which taught me everything I needed to know... including why needle threaders are AWESOME!!





So here is the completed dress with an adorable "Quiet Fox" applique modelled by Mildred - the newest member of the G.D.A.C. family.

Thanks so much Cass for this fun and adorable applique template - I can see a whole skulk/leash/troop of "Quiet Foxes" on my future handmade items. You too can stitch a little Quiet Fox - using Cass Can Sew's applique template that you can find here.

No comments:

Post a Comment